Tuesday, May 25, 2010

peace? really?

I was walking through a parking lot today on my lunch hour, and noticed all the peace symbols on car bumper stickers, and then in a store, on jewelry and clothes.

It's interesting to me that people seem so open to this. I've always perceived it as meaning "peace at any price" and signifying anti-American and anti-military viewpoints.

Has it lost those connotations? At least with the under-20's?

I'd no sooner wear one as I'd wear a swatstika ... they both represent viewpionts that are anathema to me - one advocating violence against certain groups, and the other advocating a willingness to turn a blind eye to violence rather than stand up to it.

Thoughts?

3 comments:

n/a said...

Fascinating. I've always thought the peace sign signifies peace. Not peace at any cost, necessarily -- but rather, peace as a priority.

As with so many symbols: I suppose it depends on who's wearing the badge.

Clifford Jeffery said...

I think it has changed -- to an extent. I think it probably has some "It's all Bush's fault, time for change" meanings pinned to it, now.

Sunflower Ranch said...

Great post -- I have always thought since it's original popularity in the 1960s that it's an alternate symbol for leftists -- [as opposed to the hammer & sickle or the single red star or images of Mao or Che.] Kids today are so brainwashed most don't know [or care] about history or digging into the facts behind events, trends, movements or political thought. "It's Bush's fault," is all they know, oh, and "Hope & Change." God help us!