Monday, January 12, 2009

that's not funny!

OK ... actually ... it's ME that's not funny.

I have friends who are, naturally, funny.

D. comes from a family of story-tellers, and she can tell the simplest thing, and have a group rolling. T. has a naturally quick mind, and will come out with something hilarious before most of us have had time to process the situation she's referring to.

About the only naturally humorous gift I have is to tell "I did something dumb" stories. Fortunately I provide myself with a ready supply.

Why is she bringing this up? you may wonder.

Well, I'm having lunch with R. today.

She is one of the rare exceptions to the "Trinka's not funny" rule.

For some oddball reason, I am a regular comedian when I'm with her. She draws forth smart alec, goofy remarks, one after the other.

No idea why.

I have a few folks like this, and being with them is always a strange, yet wonderful experience. I come away thinking ... "this is what it must be like to be T." My handful of jollity-producing friends are as follows: two sisters I used to visit in Kirksville, Missouri, the nurse-practitioner in my doctor's office, and R--My handful of jollity-producing friends. So ... all of you with whom I laugh until my face hurts ... thanks! It's certainly a delight.

I suppose this is what "bringing out the best (or possibly worst) in me" means ... who can tell? :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, R, am meeting you in 45 min. and I am laughing out loud already. Throw back head and ha ha ha at the ceiling laugh. When you called, I was intimidated by you because, as you said, you brilliantly thought of a more efficient restaurant to eat at. I had been proud of myself because I was oriented to time, place and person at 8:45 AM.

Anonymous said...

jollity-producing. ha ha