Tuesday, May 08, 2007

tweaking OSHA


As I wandered around the construction site, wearing a skirt, and with bare feet ... I couldn't help but enjoy my tiny little act of rebellion.

Hey ... some people get tattoos ... some people go into debt for convertibles ... I enjoy digging my toes in the dirt!

I was reading in Song of Songs this morning. I really enjoy the non-scholarly-approach of reading it as a love song between the Lord and his church (and individual believers). It makes the serious students around me a bit twitchy ... but since I don't plan to write a book setting forth the theory, I feel total liberty!

1 The Song of Songs, which is Solomon’s.

Solomon was the all-powerful king at that point in history. His wealth far surpassed anything anyone had ever seen. The parallel between him and the Lord Jesus at that point is not hard to see! (Obviously, there are aspects of his life that we can't parallel to the Lord ... but there are plenty where we can!)

2 "May he kiss me with the kisses of his mouth! For your love is better than wine.

To long after fellowship with God like this! Almost all who belong to Him have experienced those times of incredibly sweet communion with Him. His love truly IS better than wine.

Wine is a symbol of joy (among other things) in the Scriptures. Earthly joys fade into the background when He steps on the scene. In John 2, when the wine had run out at the wedding at Cana. He took everyday water, from stone washing-pots, and made it into wine. Has the joy run out of life? His love is better ... and can bring joy in places we'd never expect it.

3 "Your oils have a pleasing fragrance, Your name is like purified oil; Therefore the maidens love you.


Oil was used to anoint prophets, priests, and kings in the Scriptures. When He chooses us for a place of service, it's the perfect fit for the person He made us to be. The work He gives us will have "a pleasing fragrance."

Matthew 11:28-30 "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS."For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."


4 "Draw me after you and let us run together! The king has brought me into his chambers." "We will rejoice in you and be glad; We will extol your love more than wine. Rightly do they love you."

When my heart is cold, and I'm preoccupied with the world around me ... this is a good thing to pray. In the midst of it, He can (and wants to!) draw me after Himself. There is rest to be found in fellowship with Him in the inner rooms of my life. And look at the result of that time alone with Him ... "we will rejoice in you and be glad. We will extol your love more than wine. Rightly do they love you."

That sweet fellowship with Him will make me tons more effective in the busy-ness of life. I'll live my life in a way that's winning, and will encourage others along.

End of Song of Songs thoughts ... :)

For those who are not fond of the touch of mysticism reading it inspires in me ... please cover my failings with love!

For those who DO like this kind of thinking, I'd recommend Union and Communion by Hudson Taylor (missionary to China). Some delightful meditations there! (Posted on Christian Classics Ethereal Library, if you'd like a free electronic copy).

me

No comments: