Friday, November 03, 2006

the psych hospital

No ... no joke to follow that title ...

I just returned from visiting a friend in the psychiatric hospital. You know - when we come near to having a bad auto accident, or get a nasty case of food poisoning, we realize how fragile we really are. God gave us life in a moment, and He takes it back just as quickly. (and is just and right in doing so ... it all belongs to Him).

But our minds, too, are a gift. And one I take for granted, really.

When the Scripture says God "holds all things together by the word of His power." It is talking about galaxies, and molecules, oak trees, and our circulatory system. But He ALSO continually holds the reigns on our reason. That reason could slip away from my control just as easily as I could find myself tomorrow with diabetes or a sore throat.

The sweet lady I visited is one of the most gentle, quiet people--with a quirky sense of humor, and a desire to serve in behind-the-scenes ministries. I can always make her laugh - even tonight when her mind is a battleground.

just thinking, I suppose ... and thankful to be able to do so ...

2 comments:

Bill & Glory said...

Thank you for this.

Carol L said...

Not even this is too hard for Jesus...I'm living proof!