Saturday, January 22, 2011

Leather-wrapped tool handles

I've been wanting to wrap the handles of my tools with leather. I found a product online that worked really well for this, and I wanted to give them a plug!

What I ordered was the original version of these leather bicycle-handle wraps. Don't let the price deter you. The charge he's quoting is for enough leather to cover bicycle handlebars. He will sell smaller pieces for WAY less.

If anyone out there is interested in trying it. I did some instructions, and took pictures.

1. Beginning at the bottom, wrap tool handle with product such that the leather wraps overlap the pared (suede-free) edges, and a small triangle is created just below where you want the wrap to start.

2. Mark inside of leather at the level where you want the wrap to stop.

3. Lay leather flat, and cut at 45 degree angles as follows: the top angle having its highest point where you made your mark in the previous step. The bottom angle such that it is parallel with the top. (see photo).

4. Pare down suede at top and bottom of strip, creating a bevel. This wouldn't be absolutely necessary, but it does create a nicer finish.

5. Paint with PVA (It may be possible to use regular Elmers, but I used PVA since I had it).

6. Wrap handle as you did previously. The 45 degree angle you cut will make a straight line at the handle bottom, and then it will naturally wrap from there on. I pulled a bit to keep it taut. It might stretch a bit, so you may have to re-trim the top.

7. Smooth the leather, and let dry overnight.

The tools that I wrapped (except for the one on the far left, which I chose not to.)







Strip which I cut to wrap the scalpel handle.





Bevels at the top and bottom of strip.





Scalpel handle immediately after wrapping.



All the tools wrapped.


1 comment:

Deborah said...

You go girl!!