Saturday, November 06, 2010

Books for next week's book repair workshop

I am taking a book repair workshop next weekend down in Normal, Illinois, and I need to choose two cloth bound and two leather bound books to bring along. They needed to have sound text blocks, and damaged covers. I have a LOT of books with damaged covers ... but the "sound text blocks" was a challenge. :)

Here are pictures of 3 that I've picked out - one leather bound copy of Cowper's Poetical Works. It belongs to my friend Deb, and is the most beautifully bound book I've ever handled. The leather is so soft it just melts into your hand. But the spine is suffering.

One is my copy of Cowper's Poetical Works. It's cloth bound, and in pretty ratty shape.

The last one is Olson's Meditations on the Psalms. This is Deb's too, but I'm hoping she won't mind if two of her books are experimented on. Promise not to do anything about which I'm not absolutely certain!

I still need to pick one more leather bound volume. I'd like to take a Bible, but finding one that's sufficiently ratty, but with a solid text block, is proving to be a challenge.

I'll also post pictures of the workshop, and of the finished products.


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Rachel L said...

What is solid block text? I have a NASB, 1978. It's cover is falling off. It is big, about 10 x 6 x 3 inches.

Rachel L said...

If you hold out for something better, I understand.

Trinka said...

A solid text block means that the pages are all attached to one another ... not pulling loose.

Can you bring it tomorrow so I can see it? Will you be there at 8:30 or maybe at night?